The biggest advantage of having an artificial Christmas tree is that you're able to use it for many years. How long it lasts would depend on how well you take care of it. Make sure it looks its best season after season with our tips on Christmas tree storage, care, and cleaning.
HOW TO CARE FOR ARTIFICIAL CHRISTMAS TREES
Artificial Christmas trees don't require watering and pruning, but they still need your attention. Here are some general Christmas tree care tips to preserve the beauty of your lifelike evergreen:
- Make sure to set up your tree in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat or sunlight.
- While the tree is on display, lightly dust its tips at least once a week to prevent build-up. You can use a dense fibre duster or a clean, dry cloth. Be careful as you work around the lights.
- Avoid spraying water, soap, vinegar, or other cleaning agents which may affect the quality of your tree and void its warranty. Learn more about our warranty policy here.
- Before storing your tree for the off-season, make sure to clean it properly following the cleaning guide below.
- Place your tree in a durable storage bag. Balsam Hill® Christmas trees come with their own storage bags for easy handling. Seal and zip them securely before stowing to prevent accumulation of dust and dirt.
- Store your tree in a cool, dry location to protect from moisture and musty odour.
HOW TO CLEAN ARTIFICIAL CHRISTMAS TREES
It’s important to clean your artificial Christmas tree regularly to remove layers of dust that may accumulate during the festive season and beyond. Read our tips for cleaning your tree before decorating or putting it away:
How to clean your Christmas tree before decorating
- Carefully remove your tree from its box or storage bag. Follow our step-by-step guide on HOW TO ASSEMBLE YOUR TREE.
- Starting from the top, wipe the branches, trunk, and base with a soft, dry cloth or a fibre duster. For PRE-LIT TREES, be careful as you go through each light bulb.
- If your tree is unlit, you can use a vacuum with the upholstery bristle brush or crevice attachment to clean it. Test a section at the base of the tree first, making sure that the vacuum can safely clean the dirt off the branches without damaging the tree. You can also use a hand vacuum for lighter suction and easier control.
- Clean up the entire area with a vacuum before you start fluffing and decorating your tree.
How to clean your Christmas tree before storage
- Unplug lights from the wall and take off all decorations from your tree. Learn how to store your Christmas ornaments and lights through our guide.
- For pre-lit trees, wipe branches with a clean, dry cloth. Start from the top and gently work your way around the light bulbs.
- If your tree is unlit, you can give it a quick sweep with a vacuum using the upholstery bristle brush or crevice attachment. Make sure to test a section at the base of the tree first to check if it can safely clean the branches without damage.
- Dismantle the tree according to instructions. Compress all branches carefully and ensure that there are no unnecessary strains on the branches and lights.
HOW TO CARE FOR AND CLEAN A WHITE CHRISTMAS TREE
Dust and dirt are easily visible on a white Christmas tree. Keep your white tree spotless by cleaning and storing it properly after every season.
- Follow the general Christmas tree care tips mentioned above.
- After cleaning, place your tree inside its storage container. If you want to go the extra mile to prevent dirt, wrap your tree in clean white paper before storing.
- Avoid using water and other cleaning agents on your tree as these may invalidate the product warranty.
- Consider using multicoloured lights and ornaments to mask any persistent stains on your white Christmas tree.
HOW TO CARE FOR AND CLEAN FROSTED CHRISTMAS TREES
FROSTED TREES require a different kind of care from your traditional Christmas trees. There's no need for dusting as this may damage the flocking material.
- Set up your tree in a cool, dry place away from humidity and direct heat.
- Avoid unnecessary contact against the branches and tips to prevent excess shedding. Note that light shedding is normal for frosted trees.
- Before storing, gently compress the branches of your tree.
- Place your tree in a secure storage bag to lessen contact between seasons and keep the flocking material intact.
We hope this Christmas tree care guide gave you helpful tips so you can enjoy the beauty of your festive centrepiece for years to come. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to our customer service team.
For more tips on how to care for your seasonal decorations, visit the links below.